The client for the project lives in a Mediterranean styled home. It was important for them that the new kitchen design sat well with the styling of the home and that it wasn’t too modern.
The original design of the kitchen was over 40 years old. The area was very dark and there was limited workspace.
There were some key considerations to take into account with the new design of this space.
- The footprint needed to remain the same as the marble floors did not extend under the original kitchen.
- We needed to increase the workspace available to make food preparation easier.
- The client requested the addition of a dishwasher to the space.
- A double bowl sink with draining boards on both sides was a non-negotiable for the client.
- An island was proposed however the client wished to keep their original table in the centre of the space.
- The wall units needed to remain at an accessible height and not extend too high as the client would not be able to reach them.
- Cabinetry needed to be easy to clean.
- Fridge would remain but client wanted to update all other appliances.
- The customer needed a better waste solution.
- Better accessibility to the pantry was also a request.
The customer loved the look of the traditional shaker door and this worked in harmony with elements throughout the rest of the home. We selected the beautiful Bianco Drift benchtops from Caesarstone and continued this up the splashback for very lavish finish. The grey tones and subtle veining create a lovely contrast with the cabinetry while also picking up some colours from the marble/terrazzo floors.
By repositioning the oven under the bench, we were able to release additional bench space and create a much more open design. With the choice of white cabinetry, the overall space looks and feels much larger than the previous kitchen.
With the inclusion of large drawers either side of the oven and internal pull-out drawers in the pantry we were able to give the customer flexibility of storage and the accessibility they requested while also creating a balanced design.
The clients for this project were a young couple that had just purchased their first home. The entire home required significant renovations and therefore budget was a key consideration. They loved the “Hamptons” look and creating a space that emulated this style was their primary request.
The rest of the brief for this project included:
- Retaining height in the cabinetry. Storage was limited and therefore floor to ceiling cabinets was a must.
- Create a more open space with better flow through to the living area.
- Stone bench tops were non-negotiable.
- Functional seating at a breakfast bar.
- Create space for a microwave and dishwasher.
- Retain amount of workable bench space.
To create the open plan space the customer had requested we began by moving the oven and cooktop to the back wall. This enabled us to remove the dividing wall and create a huge breakfast bar that opened up into the living area.
We positioned the microwave under the bench on the back side of the breakfast bar so that it was conveniently out of sight but easily accessible.
To create a balanced look, we positioned the oven and cook top centrally on the back wall, framed by the pantry and the fridge. This enabled us to create plenty of workspace either side of the cook top and ensure that work area remained open and functional.
Positioning drawers next to the oven/cooktop and also on the breakfast bar were able to establish 2 key zones for food preparation and another for washing/serving.
The beautiful matt black undermount sink, tap and handles provide a subtle contrast to the otherwise white palette. You also can’t ignore the opulent marbled stone bench top, splashback and waterfall end that really complete this stunning space.
My kitchen was over 40 years old and wasn’t a functional space. I am so glad I came across Alex from SLEAQ as he really listened to me, working through multiple designs, and showed me a great overview of the pricing options available. He was also very patient with me throughout the decision-making process. I now have a kitchen that I love to be in, and Alex saved me the time and hassle of getting multiple quotes.
Would highly recommend SLEAQ for a kitchen renovation! Alex had great attention to detail from the very beginning and he was able to combine greater function with style to deliver us our dream kitchen. He was always responsive and helpful with any queries or changes we required. Really happy with the end product.